Tutorial: Step by Step "Table Edge Terrace" Part 3 April 22, 2015 09:15

If you have just opened this blog, you can check how I got to this stage by reading the first 2 tutorials.


 Once the paint was fully dried I used an "Asphalt" coloured emulsion tester pot to block colour the roof. This was applied quickly using a large brush with a smaller brush used to cut in by the chimneys and dormers. I used 2 coats to cover the card tiles.

In this picture I have used the asphalt with "Grey Slate" emulsion mixed, watered down and applied in an almost random way. I did however try to keep the lighter paint away from the top of the tiles near the next row as this emphasises the overlap and gives a stronger shadow effect.

Spending time tiling the roof with card proved to be a good investment when it came to painting.With the laser etched tiles more care is needed not to overpaint onto the next slate. With raised card picking out the edges was a lot easier and quicker to do with the same effect.

This next layer was straight from the tester pot grey slate again, I applied quickly overlapping the previous coat in an attempt to get a variety of shades on each troofing slate. Once more I avoided the shadow area at the top of the slate tile.

This picture shows the diverse way paint was applied. I often use the paintbrush sideways, instead of painting with the hairs on the brush, I go accross using the length of the brush. This sideways application gives a more natural looking random accidental efect and looks less contrieved.

This last picture shows 3 stages. I repeated the previous method using "Cool Slate" tester pot emulsion. Each time I apply a highlight, I cover less tiles and a smaller area on each. Applying highlights like this means each colour takes less time than the previous...great for motivation.

Once the slate was complete, I applied a lichen effect dabbing / stippling Vallejo German Orange Ochre (left over from when I attempted oak leaf pattern SS uniforms). The lichen effect was further enhanced with Vallejo "Ghost Grey", again this was a quick job as I was seeking a subtle aged / weathered effect.

I used grey primer paint to spray the windows and doors. Use a small blob of blue tac to hold the windows still when spraying to avoid blowing the pieces away.  One set of windows I oversprayed black, another white. I then used a small amount of contact adhesive to bond the windows to some acetate (If I remember correctly this was from the front of a Christmas cracker box). I usually glue in the windows and then apply the acetate by gluing the window surround inside and sticking on a large piece, this avoids any glue being seen from the outside. On this occasion as both sides of the windows are to be seen, I had to take more care.

Look out for the next tutorial where the finishing touches will be applied to complete the kit.