Tutorial: "Preparing & Painting the Pantile Granary" April 27, 2017 11:55

The 6th building in the Pantile range the "Pantile Granary" was approached in a slightly different way to the other models in the collection. Here I will run through step by step how I achieved the finished effect.

The basic structure is simple to construct (and full instructions are encosed with each kit). The picture above shows the resin parts and unpainted MDF components glued together. Note, I left the door off the main building in order to paint it separately.

I used a file and glasspaper to lightly smooth the flat "mushroom"  undersides and, after washing with a detergent (washing up liquid), I turned the "mushroom caps" flat side up and glued on the "stalks" I used superglue and took care to fix them in the centre of the cap. Once dry, I superglued the mushrooms to the 2mm base keeping in the engraved lines.

Using quick dry polyfilla and sand, I textured the steps. For more details on this, please see my "Prepping the Pantile House 1 Tutorial". Next, I placed a small ball of greenstuff onto each mushroom and dabbed water on them. I placed the main building on top to "bed in" and avaid any gaps when gluing the building to the mushrooms. I applied water to the greenstuff to prevent it sticking to the underside of the building.

I wanted to get a slight rough texture and decided to use a texture spray. This was lightly applied to the outside of the main building. I have been advised that spraying varnish or primer from a distance achieves a similar effect.

I used sand to apply texture to the base, leaving an area for some metal goats. I then spray primed the base sub assembly ready for painting.

Using an old, large brush I painted on "Honey Brown" acrylic.

This was followed by Honey Brown & Tan in a 50/50 mix then pure Tan.

A final light drybrush of Bleached Sand...

 ...was followed by a wash with GW Agrax Earthshad to bring out the joints in the stonework and define individual pieces.

The base was painted in various brown and tan shades and lightly drybrushed Bleached Sand. The roof and door were painted following my previous tutorial.

The base decoration (in this case goats) were painted and glued in place. I filled the gaps with sand and painted to blend in with the majority of the earth. Grass tufts were applied before the main structure was superglued to the base.

The completed model....