Tutorial: Prepping & Painting the Pantile Kits. November 11, 2016 11:05

For this tutorial, I would like to walk you through step by step on how I achieved the "rough cast" weathered look of the "Pantile House 1". This model is the first in a range of themed kits. Having resin  components and very textured walls: I took a different approach from my Eastern Front or Normandy buildings.



From the following picture you can see the resin roof & chimney stack. Further resin components are to the side and rear of the kit. An MDF capping stone and a plastic component completes the chimney assembly.

First, I glued the walls to the floors and, once dry, glued in the thickening 3mm inner walls to give real depth to the structure. I then glued on the blacony, door arch, and window sills. I left off the windows and doors to make texturing and painting easier. For this image, the doors and windows are held in place with clear tape.

Before I started texturing the walls, I took a craft knife and distressed the sills and the door surround. For the door surround, I reduced the thickness on a few selected "stones".

The resin roof needed slight filing to sit comfortably on the 1st floor. If sanding or filing resin or MDF, work in a well ventilated area or outdoors and avoid breathing in any dust.

Using a spatula, or thumb in my case; apply filler (I used quick drying polyfilla readymix) thinly in a random way so you do not have a pattern. I have now completed 4 buildings and have used 2/3 of a 99p tube of quick dry filler.

Do not aim for total coverage; leave some lower areas of bare wood showing through.

Where you left some bare exposed wood, coat with PVA and cover with fine sand. For the image above, I painted the kit and the sand looked too patchy. I went back with the polyfilla and blended over some of the sand to merge with the previous plolyfilla layer. The kit did not need painting at that point, I did it so you could see where I applied the second coat of filler.

I used an acrylic made by "Americana" called Honey Brown in the recesses of the filler and where I thought a bit of shade was needed.

Next I mixed Honey Brown with Crafter's acrylic Tan 50-50 mix and drybrushed with a large brush. I then used pure Tan followed by a light drybrush dusting of Americana acrylic Bleached Sand. To bring out the fine lines in the door surround and give a little shading under the balocny and below the windows a wash with Games Workshop Agrax Earthsade was applied.

The roof and chimney pot were base coated with a Dulux mixed testerpot emulsion "Sumatran Melody 2" and highlighted with a light drybrush of "Sumatran Melody 3". A final dusting with Bleached sand and a light wash of Agrax Earthshade finished the job.


The windows and doors were spray primed then hand painted with a mid brown. I used the mid-brown with a little grey to highlight followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade to finish.

The windows were glued to clear "blister packaging" sheet using Unibond solvent free glue. Once dry, I used scissors to cut the window frames off the sheet and trim to fit. I then glued the frames in place using PVA. The curtain is a piece of paper that I painted in rough stripes using Wargames Foundry 3 shade Austrian White.

Having the majority of the model painted using drybrush and wash method, this kit was very quick to paint. With the windows and doors separate also speeded up getting the model "table ready".